Saturday, January 7, 2017

You can find The Rescuers glasses on eBay.

I suppose I should also call this blog, "What I learned from Wikipedia."  Or maybe just "What I learned today."

In 1977, Walt Disney brought out The Rescuers, starring Eva Gabor as Miss Bianca and Bob Newhart as Bernard.

When I first started watching it - I was 16 and saw it in the theaters - I loved the opening song - very powerful. (You can hear it here - unfortunately not with the images of a bottle floating in the ocean that were part of the movie.)

After that...I started out not liking it. I had read the original The Rescuers book by Margery Sharp and loved it, and of course the movie changed it, truncating two different The Rescuers books into one. Also, although I love Bob Newhart, I didn't think his voice as Bernard suited the part. But as the movie continued on, I did like it, especially Evinrude the dragonfly and the two villainous pets -Brutus and Nero. (Ever notice how there are always two villainous pets in Disney films?).

I believe it was McDonalds - or perhaps Taco Bell or Burger King, but I'm pretty sure McDonalds, that offered Rescuer glasses, and I got one of Evinrude.

It was top quality glass, I think, but somehow about 10 years later it got broken. So a couple of years ago on a whim I checked to see if eBay would have any of these glasses from now 40 years ago (2017 will be the 40th anniversary of the film), and I'll be 56!) and they do. Below is just one listing, for a Miss Biana glass, but checking today it looks like every single glass is available, albeit from different sellers, ranging in price from $1 upward.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Rescuers-Bianca-1977-Collector-Series-Glass-Disney-/291987786801?hash=item43fbd40c31:g:1yYAAOSwNRdYBEtN

I went to The Rescuers Down Under when it came out in 1990 and I didn't care for it at all.

By the way, I still, at age 55-going-on-56, love Margery Sharp's Rescuer books. They are meant for kids but there's humor that adults will appreciate, and they're just fun! Also the illustrations by Garth Williams are cute and clever.

You can get The Rescuers movie and the first The Rescuer book from Amazon. Sadly, it looks like they are out of print... but they are all available (from different sellers) on eBay.

...

No comments:

Post a Comment